If you are looking for a healthy, easy, and flavorful recipe, look no further, here we present Chicken with Chickpeas. This dish is perfect for lunch or dinner, and the best thing about it is that it is a complete meal in itself.
Chickpeas and chicken provide proteins and carbohydrates, while fresh vegetables and spices add a touch of flavor and extra nutrition. Moreover, this recipe is easy to customize and adapt to your own tastes. Ready to try it?
Plate with chicken and chickpeas, a portion of rice and avocado Chickpeas are part of legumes and constitute a complete and nutritious meal aiding those who perform physical activity, and they help you maintain a healthy and balanced diet. Although they are not native to our country, they have been part of our dietary habits since they were introduced in our culture during the colonization of America.
How to prepare Chicken with Pulled Chickpeas?
The preparation as a main meal is relatively easy, even without having all the necessary ingredients, as like most dishes you can prepare them with many other ingredients that help to highlight their flavors. So jump to the recipe to see how easy it is.
How to cook chickpeas in a slow cooker?
While we will prepare this recipe in a pressure cooker, you can also make it in a slow cooker, keep in mind that it will take a little longer. Just remember to soak the chickpeas overnight, so they absorb some water and cook faster, even so, it will take you about an hour and a half, until they are soft. Don't forget to add salt to taste during cooking and half a cube of chicken stock to add more flavor.
How do I cook dry chickpeas?
To cook dry chickpeas, soak them in water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Then, rinse them and place them in a pot with fresh water. Boil for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 1 to 1 ½ hours or until they are tender.
Can I use canned chickpeas instead of dry ones?
Yes, you can use canned chickpeas instead of dry ones. Just make sure to rinse and drain them before adding them to the recipe.
How do I prepare the chicken?
To prepare the chicken for this recipe, you can use skinless chicken breasts and cut them into cubes or strips. You can also use boneless chicken thighs. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown it in a pan with a bit of olive oil before adding it to the pot with the chickpeas.
What other ingredients can I add to the recipe?
You can add a wide variety of ingredients to the Chicken with Chickpeas recipe, such as meat, beef tripe, sausage, potatoes, and anything else you wish to add.
How long should I cook the recipe?
Once you have added the chicken and other ingredients to the pot with the chickpeas, you should simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the ingredients are soft and the sauce has thickened. Make sure to taste the mixture while cooking to adjust the flavor and add more spices or salt if necessary.
If you liked this recipe for chicken with chickpeas, remember that you can also prepare chickpeas with tripe or broccoli fritters.
- 1 Pound of Chickpeas
- 1 Pound of Chicken Breast
- 2 Medium Tomatoes finely chopped
- 5 Stems of Scallion finely chopped
- ½ Small Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Long Sausage stick chopped into small pieces.
- 150 grams of Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cube of bouillon or Maggie
- 9 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Color and Salt to taste
- You can use any other cube of chicken broth like Maggie.
- You can use other pieces of chicken
Instead of scallions, regular onions also work well.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in room temperature water.
- Add the chickpeas to the pressure cooker for one hour or until they are soft over medium heat, do not forget to add to the pot the bouillon or maggie, color and salt to taste.
- Drain the chickpeas and set them aside.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, cook the chicken adding salt to taste and a little bit of oil, in a slow cooker for half an hour over medium heat.
- Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Fry the sausage in 3 tablespoons of oil for 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- In another pan add the onion, tomato, and bell pepper in 3 tablespoons of oil, add salt to taste, let it sauté for 15 minutes or until its juice has reduced, stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Add the shredded chicken, the fried sausages, the tomato and onion stew, and the tomato sauce to the chickpeas mixing them little by little, use the same pressure cooker or a large bowl where it is easy for you to stir all the ingredients.
- Serve accompanied with rice or a slice of bread.