Who can resist the aroma and taste of freshly made french fries? Fries are one of the most popular dishes worldwide, and in Colombian cuisine, they are no exception. Today I present a simple and delicious recipe for you to enjoy perfectly crispy outside and soft inside fries. With just a few ingredients, you can prepare this dish that is perfect to accompany any meal or enjoy at any time of the day.
How to make french fries in the microwave?
To make microwave french fries, grease a microwave-safe tray with oil, add the fries, and microwave for about 5 minutes. The exact time may vary depending on the thickness and the type of microwave you have.
How can I make my fries crispy outside and soft inside?
For crispy outside and soft inside fries, ensure you cut the potatoes into even pieces and fully immerse them in hot oil. Avoid stirring them constantly while cooking as this can cause them to break and become soft. Also, it's essential to remove them from the oil once they're golden and drain them on paper towels to eliminate excess oil.
How can I make them healthier?
To make them healthier, you can cut the potatoes into thicker slices instead of thin, long pieces, which reduces the amount of oil they absorb. You can also use a healthier oil like olive oil and sprinkle the potatoes with spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, or rosemary instead of salt.
How can I prevent my fries from burning?
To prevent your fries from burning, ensure the oil is at the right temperature before adding the potatoes. The oil shouldn't be too hot or the fries will burn quickly, but it shouldn't be too cold either or the fries will absorb too much oil and become soft. It's also important not to overload the pan with too many fries at once, as this can cause the oil to cool down too much and the fries to cook unevenly.
What sauces do you recommend to accompany french fries?
French fries can be enjoyed on their own or with a variety of sauces. The most popular sauces in Colombia are tomato sauce and pink sauce, which is a mix of tomato sauce and mayonnaise. You can also try spicy sauces like garlic sauce or cilantro and lime sauce for a different twist on your french fries.
Tips and recommendations
- Cut the potatoes into even pieces to ensure uniform cooking.
- Ensure the oil is hot enough before adding the potatoes. You can test by dropping a small potato piece into the oil. If it bubbles and starts to turn golden, the oil is ready.
- Don't overload the pan or deep-fryer with too many fries at once, as this can cause the oil to cool, leading to uneven cooking.
- If you want healthier fries, consider baking them instead. Place the potatoes on a baking tray, spray with some oil spray, and bake at 425°F for about 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- For even crispier fries, add a teaspoon of cornstarch to the flour and salt mixture before coating the potatoes.
We recommend trying: Salchipapa or Hawaiian sandwich.
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and cut into thin, long pieces)
- Enough oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pan over medium heat, add the oil and let it heat up sufficiently.
- Add the french fries, making sure they can be submerged in the oil.
- Fry them for about 5 minutes, keeping an eye on them to prevent burning.
- Remove the fries and place them on paper towels to drain the oil.
- Serve and enjoy, adding salt to taste and tomato sauce or pink sauce.