Before explaining the process of making bread, let's talk a bit about it. Bread is a staple food that is part of the diet of many people, consumed either for breakfast or as a snack.
It is usually prepared by baking a dough, which has been mainly made with cereal flour, salt, and water. The mixture almost always contains yeast (the addition of this component causes the dough to ferment before baking, as a result of this, it provides it with greater volume), making it fluffier and softer.
The cereal most used to make bread is wheat flour, however, other cereals such as corn, barley, rice, and rye are also used. The best thing about making bread is that it allows us to play with its shapes in the kitchen, as the dough is so malleable and can be shaped, either with various molds and kneading techniques, so you can decide what shape to give it, either in a ring, braided, among others.
Currently, bread is one of those basic foods that you can find in any store, supermarket, or cafeteria, as it is very important in human nutrition.
But not all is good news, bread, despite being a very old food, a growing percentage of the population suffers from some type of disorder related to gluten, causing certain diseases, which is why their treatment consists of a strict gluten-free diet. That's why in recent years we have seen gluten-free breads on the market.
But now let's get to the point and prepare a delicious homemade bread. Let's cook.
What is the key to getting a smooth and elastic dough in Colombian homemade bread?
To get a smooth and elastic dough, it is important to knead it correctly. Knead the mixture for about 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until it acquires a soft and elastic texture.
Is it necessary to let the dough rest before baking the bread?
Yes, it is necessary to let the dough rest before baking the bread because once kneaded, the dough is covered and left to rest for 30 minutes. After dividing it into equal parts and forming balls, let them rise covered until they double in size, which will take approximately 60 minutes in a warm place.
How can I give a special touch to homemade bread?
One way to give it a special touch is by adding mozzarella cheese as an optional filling. Place a piece of cheese on the flattened dough before rolling it up and sealing the edges. The cheese will melt while baking, resulting in a delicious and soft center.
What temperature and for how long should I bake?
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and bake the bread for about 20 minutes or until golden. Before baking, you can also brush the breads with beaten egg to get a shiny and golden finish.
What can I do to enhance the flavor?
To enhance the flavor, you can brush additional melted butter on the surface of the bread. This will give it extra flavor and a soft texture.
Tips and tricks
- When kneading, don't apply too much pressure to prevent the dough from becoming hard.
- Use good quality instant yeast to ensure a good rise of the dough.
- If you want a softer bread, use whole milk instead of skimmed.
- For better preservation, store the bread in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature.
- Not kneading the dough enough, which can result in dense and less elastic bread.
- Not letting the dough rest long enough, preventing it from rising properly.
- Baking the bread at too high a temperature or for too long, which can cause it to dry out or burn.
Similar or complementary recipes
Colombian Arepas: They share ingredients such as flour, salt, and water. They are an excellent option for breakfast or dinner and you can fill them with various ingredients.
Almojábanas: These are delicious Colombian rolls made with corn flour, cheese, and butter. They can be enjoyed alone or accompanied by delicious hot chocolate.
Pandebono: It's another type of Colombian roll made from cassava starch, cheese, and eggs. They are ideal to accompany with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and have a soft and delicious texture.
- 2 ¼ cups of flour.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 1 packet of instant yeast.
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
- ½ cup of water.
- 2 tablespoons of milk.
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Mozzarella Cheese optional.
- 1 beaten egg.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Heat the milk, water, and butter and add it to the flour mixture. Mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead for about 8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Then cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 7 equal parts and shape into balls. Work one ball at a time, keeping the rest covered with plastic.
- Flatten the piece of dough with a rolling pin until it is thin.
- And we will start wrapping the dough firmly and pressing the edges to seal. If you wish to fill the bread with cheese, you can place a piece on top of the dough and roll to cover.
- Once the bread is made, place it on a baking sheet. Cover them and let them rise until they double in size (ideally in a warm place for approximately 60 minutes.
- Then brush the bread with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for at least about 20 minutes or until golden.
- After this time, remove the bread from the oven. (If you wish, you can brush with additional melted butter) Serve hot.