Lentil soup is one of the best choices for a satisfying and nutritious dinner. Lentils are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and iron. Their mild and earthy taste makes them a perfect ingredient for this soup. Additionally, it's a recipe very easy to prepare, making it an excellent option for those short on cooking time. If you're looking for a healthy and delicious dinner that leaves you feeling good, I guarantee this recipe will become one of your favorites!
Lentil soup is a dish often prepared in Colombian households. It's an economical, delicious, and versatile food that we enjoy cooking and eating.
Make a simple lentil soup at home—an unique and straightforward recipe to prepare in the comfort of your home and enjoy with your family. Cook with us.
What sets this recipe apart?
- We add cilantro at the end of this soup, as it pairs exceptionally well with lentils—you won't be able to resist.
- We include some meat in our lentil soup, giving it a richer flavor.
- We use very few seasonings, ensuring its taste remains pure and natural.
What is lentil soup?
This soup is considered a typical dish in Mediterranean cuisine, with lentils being its main ingredient. It's a soup people swear by when recovering from an injury.
Lentil soup is prevalent not only in Mediterranean cuisine but also in Colombian cooking. It's an affordable and deliciously nutritious dish.
How to make lentil soup?
Start by heating oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Ensure it doesn't burn and stir occasionally until translucent.
Add beef broth or water, turn up the heat, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add lentils, diced carrots, chopped meat, and peeled and diced potatoes.
Add cumin, salt, and pepper, cover the pot, and let it boil for about 25 minutes or until everything is tender. Once ready, check the flavor, add chopped cilantro, and remove from heat. Serve immediately while hot.
What to serve it with?
I love enjoying lentil soup with a generous portion of fresh salad—it pairs perfectly. In Colombian households, this soup is often served with a side of rice.
Tips and recommendations
- We suggest a specific amount of water, but you can add more if needed.
- If you wish to thicken the soup a bit, add arracacha or grated potato.
- You can use beef or pork in the soup, enhancing its flavor.
Benefits of eating lentils
Lentils are incredibly nutritious, containing three essential macronutrients: carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein. They're a fantastic option as they provide high-quality plant-based proteins. Lentils also have a high fiber content, promoting gut health and offering a feeling of fullness.
- Lentil burger: A delicious alternative way to enjoy lentils.
- Pea soup: Another soup option, this time featuring peas—a unique and tasty ingredient.
- Vegetable soup with chicken: A variant that includes a protein source like chicken.
- 1 cup lentils
- 5 cups beef broth or water
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- ½ lb beef (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You can add coriander to taste before serving.
- You can also add minced meat, discarded chicken, meat bones or chicken pieces when adding ingredients to the pot.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent burning and cook until translucent.
- Add beef broth or water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add lentils, carrot, meat, potatoes, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and boil for approximately 25 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Once ready, adjust the seasoning, add chopped cilantro, and remove from heat. Serve immediately.