Imagine enjoying a delicious and refreshing juice that will transport you to the tropical flavors of Colombia! Today I want to introduce you to the recipe for lulo juice, a popular drink in Colombian culture that combines the sweet and sour flavor of lulo with the freshness of ice and the sweetness of sugar.
It's perfect to enjoy at any time of the day, whether as a revitalizing breakfast, a snack on a hot afternoon, or as an accompaniment to a tasty meal. Best of all, it's very easy to prepare and you only need a few ingredients to get a delicious result.
Lulo juice is undoubtedly a very chosen drink in Colombian homes, this is because it is very refreshing and with some acid touches that are capable of conquering palates.
We love this drink, especially for those hot days, and for this reason, I want to share it with you. Stay and prepare with us a nutritious and refreshing drink.
Differences with other recipes
- It will have the exact balance between acidity and sweet notes, obtaining the perfect balance of flavors you are looking for.
- You can sweeten it as you like, sugar, honey, sweetener, and even with panela, all contributing a delicious flavor without affecting the recipe.
- In water or in milk, thick or clear, the recipe will be just as delicious in the way you choose.
What is lulo?
Lulo is a subtropical plant also known as naranjilla, which presents large leaves covered with short hairs. It is a fruit similar to tomato, with a yellow or orange peel.
This fruit is consumed ripe, and is used in the preparation of desserts, sauces, juices, or shakes. It is a drink very pursued thanks to its refreshing power and its acid touches.
How can we prepare a good juice?
Preparing this juice is very easy, to start, choose the lulo, for this, choose the ripest ones. With the help of a knife, cut them in half, and with the help of a spoon, extract the pulp from the inside.
You should be very careful not to extract the pulp and leave peel stuck to it. Once the pulp is extracted, add it to the blender glass and discard the peel.
Add to the blender the water or milk, sugar or honey, good herb, and ice. Process for about a minute and strain the juice to remove the seeds. Serve and enjoy immediately.
What can this juice be accompanied with?
This is a drink that adapts to different flavors easily, so it can be accompanied with some beans, a stew, a sancocho, and any other type of food.
Tips and recommendations
- If you don't like it so acidic, you can add more sweet (sugar, honey, or panela)
- Add good pulp and make it in milk, if you want it very thick,
- If you want a good lulo juice, but granita, decrease the measure of water or milk and add good ice.
Benefits of lulo
- Lulo is a fruit with diuretic properties, ideal for people who want to lose weight.
- Because of its fiber content, lulo is a fruit that helps facilitate digestion.
- This fruit has a positive effect on stress and helps people who suffer from insomnia.
- It contains phosphorus and vitamin A, which help in the formation of hair, nails, and strong bones.
- Spaghetti with chicken: An ideal lunch to accompany this excellent recipe.
- Pineapple juice: Try a different, nutritious, and delicious drink every day.
- Passion fruit dessert: For the final touch, a delicious dessert.
- 4 lulos.
- 3 glasses of water or milk.
- 3 tablespoons of sugar or honey.
- A sprig of good herb optional.
- Ice to taste.
- First cut the lulos in half, and with the help of a spoon extract the pulp, being very careful not to take shell in the pulp.
- Once the pulp is extracted, take it to the blender, along with the milk or water, sugar or honey, the sprig of peppermint, and the ice.
- Blend for a minute.
- Pass the juice through the strainer to remove the seeds that remain.
- Serve and enjoy.