This recipe for meringue milk taken from Spanish cuisine is a traditional dessert that has various common ingredients and can easily found in Colombia. These ingredients widely used in multiple salty and sweet preparations.
This homemade preparation of meringue milk is ideal for serving on a hot day to cool off. Its flavor is quite similar to that of rice pudding since milk integrates perfectly with the taste of cinnamon and lemon zest.
Why is it called meringue milk?
This recipe commonly served in ice cream parlors in some cities in Spain; it usually froze to the point of snow. Its name is because the preparation includes meringue, which is the mixture of egg white to stiff snow, with a little sugar that gives it a unique texture.
This mixture stirred with the infusion of milk with lemon zest and cinnamon. At this point, it is of the utmost importance that after the milk boiled for the indicated time, it left to stand for a prudent time and then taken to the freezer to take the form of snow cone or semi-frozen.
Does it have any nutritional value?
The main ingredients for meringue milk, such as egg white and milk, provide a significant amount of calcium, which is essential in the formation of bones and teeth. Milk also offers many proteins, carbohydrates, and natural fat, of course, depending on the milk used, whether it is whole, semi, or skim.
The preparation can also do with other types of vegetable milk such as almonds or soy, its flavor does not vary much, and in this way, a large number of nutrients also consumed.
Finally, if you cannot use sugar for health reasons, it can be substituted for another sweetener or only with the lemon peel, and cinnamon flavoring will be enough to add flavor.
How to make Meringue Milk?
I hope you can make this delicious meringue milk because I'm sure you'll love it.
If you liked this recipe for meringue milk, you could also prepare cholado, chocolate brownies or greek yogurt.Receta original en Español
- 3 glasses of milk of your choice
- 1 cinnamon stick or ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Ground cinnamon to decorate
- For the meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Take the milk, lemon zest, and cinnamon to a pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, remove from heat, cover the pot and let it infuse, that is, take all the flavor of the lemon peel.
- When it is cold, make it to the freezer for about an hour to crystallize, you can stir it with a fork.
- Place the egg whites, the pinch of salt in a bowl and begin to beat by hand with a fork until foam comes out.
- Then you must beat with the blender and add the sugar little by little until the mixture is about to snow, so much that when you turn the bowl, nothing falls from it.
- Add the snow cone milk with the meringue and mix it with a spatula in an enveloping way until everything is well mixed and fluffy.
- Serve and decorate with ground cinnamon.
Leave a Reply