Paisas are again protagonists today in my recipes, and of course, if this rice has arrived to give a very exotic touch to our table. Paisa rice is a recipe that has been gradually positioning itself for its flavor; without a doubt, it is one of the best ways to enjoy a complete rice dish.
This recipe for rice paisa has ingredients such as meat, rice, and vegetables, but its popular ingredient, and that makes it immensely delicious, are those pieces of ripe fried plantain that we can find on the plate. It gives it a taste, which makes it irresistible. It is a risky touch, but it has worked overtime and that the people who consume it have accepted very well. So the combination of flavors is the order of the day.
Is paisa rice a traditional dish in Colombia?
This dish has gradually gained fame in some restaurants that offer it on the main menu. It has also been occupying a significant position in different homes — both the department of Antioquia and the Eje Cafetero.
Is it difficult to prepare paisa rice?
It would be thought that this dish is difficult to prepare since it has many ingredients that require previous cooking; however, if you organized with time, you will be able to do it without significant mishaps. And I say it because if while you cook the rice, you cut the vegetables and at the same time you cook the meats, everything will result in a short time.
Its preparation is quite entertaining, but that is not complicated, it is a dish that you can do to surprise your family and friends, it is one of those dishes that soak you with great flavors and emotions. Undoubtedly this recipe is that kind of preparations that make us adore Colombian cuisine.
What is the secret to preparing delicious paisa rice?
The secret touch of this recipe given as I said the sweet taste of ripe banana initially, this is basic for its traditional flavor, usually found in the plates in the form of a slice, but in this preparation, it should be cut into small squares and then fry them
As for the meats that add, which are also the basis of the preparation, we will cook them without using oil since, for example, the pork rinds loose enough fat in which the pieces of pork can fry and the chorizo. Other ingredients that I usually use in this preparation are some vegetables that stand out for their colorful colors. These are red and green paprika, sweet corn, and beans, which are sauteed for a few minutes and stir with all the other ingredients.
So you know, if you are looking for a dish full of flavors and rich in protein, you should try paisa rice. This plate is a complete typical Colombian preparation, thanks to the variety of ingredients that it takes in its preparation. It is usually used as the main course because it includes all food groups, yes, we assure you that it not recommended for any diet. Let’s cook.
Ingredients for preparing paisa rice
How to make paisa rice?Español
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 chorizos chopped
- 300 grams of chicharrón chopped
- 300 grams of pork diced
- 200 grams of bacon optional
- ½ cup of corn kernels
- 2 ripe plantains diced
- 1 purple onion finely chopped
- ½ cup of kidney beans (cut into tiny pieces)
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped or macerated
- Half red and green paprika chopped in small cubes
- 2 ripe tomatoes (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Cumin (color, pepper, and salt to taste)
- Initially, it would be best if you prepared the rice, as it is the basis of the recipe. For this, sauté the garlic clove and two tablespoons of onion in a large pot in the oil spoon, then add the rice to saute for one or two minutes, add a tablespoon of salt, stir and then add the 4 cups of chicken soup.
- Let the rice boil until the water dries and then cover the pot, lower the heat, and let it cook until the grain is at its point and consistent. While cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Since the meats already cut, add the pork rinds in a skillet over high heat, stir and when it is toasted, take it out, drain it and reserve.
- In the chicharrón oil, add the pieces of meat and sauté until you see that its color changes, so do the chorizo and finally drain and reserve.
- Sauté the plantains logs in this same oil and reserve.
- If you are going to add bacon, take it to another skillet without oil so that it is also fried in its fat and then drain it very well and reserve.
- Sauté in the skillet of the bacon with low fat, onion, tomato, paprika, and kidney bean, to form a hogao. Add some color, cumin, pepper, and salt to taste.
- When everything cooked, use a large pot or bowl to mix the ingredients with the rice. Stir several times and slowly so that everything merges well.
- Ready, you can serve in the portion you want and accompany the dish with avocado pieces.
Enjoy your meal!
If you love paisa gastronomy, you cannot miss the opportunity to prepare this recipe, as well as to try it. The combination of flavors, colors, and textures on the plate makes you want to repeat again and again. You will find ingredients as typical as pork rind, chorizo, sweet corn, hogao and ripe plantain, which split into small squares, fried and mixed in preparation to give the sweet touch that highlights all other flavors.