Let me introduce you to the stuffed potato, a delicacy that will conquer your palate and those of your loved ones! This Latin American culinary delight combines the soft and fluffy texture of the potato with a tasty and juicy filling that will have everyone licking their fingers.
Imagine a perfectly cooked potato, mixed with spices and filled with a delicious stew of meat, chicken, cheese, vegetables, or any other combination of ingredients you can think of. Then, this marvel is breaded and fried until it reaches a golden crispy perfection, hiding a surprise inside. Even the most demanding palates won't be able to resist this delicious temptation!
The stuffed potato is not only versatile and customizable, but it's also perfect for any occasion, from an appetizer at a party to a main dish at a family meal.
We adore stuffed potatoes, especially because we can prepare many different fillings with them, to vary and delight ourselves every day. And how could we not love them if they are simply so delicious.
In today's recipe, we bring you a filling that I am sure you and your entire family will love. Easy-to-find ingredients and, above all, a quick recipe so you can get out of the kitchen soon.
Differences with other recipes
- We use a layer of flour and egg around the potato, but we make sure that this layer is thin so that it can be enjoyed much better.
- We pamper our ground meat and give it a lot of flavors, so the stuffed potato will be perfect.
- We also assure you that you will not taste the egg at all, something that often happens and that we dislike quite a bit.
What is a stuffed potato?
The stuffed potato is considered a fried dish, which is typical of various Latin American countries, such as Colombia, Chile, Cuba, Peru, and Puerto Rico. A very old recipe that is still prepared and consumed in many places.
This preparation consists of a fried potato dough, which can be filled with meat, chicken, cheese, onions, olives, boiled egg, "hogao" (Colombian tomato and onion sauce), among other ingredients.
How to make this recipe?
First, peel the potato and cut it into cubes. In a pot with water and a little salt, cook the potatoes until they are soft, then drain them. In the same pot, mash the potatoes with a fork until they become puree and set aside.
In another pot, mix the ground meat with the tomatoes chopped into small cubes, the finely chopped garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste. Once the meat is cooked, add the already cooked rice and the cooked egg chopped into cubes. Mix all these ingredients very well.
Now, take a handful of mashed potatoes, form a ball, and make a deep hole with your finger; there, incorporate the meat mixture. Close the hole and repeat this process until you have used all the ingredients.
In a container, mix the flour with the raw egg, milk, and a pinch of salt; beat well. Dip the potato balls one by one in the mixture and then fry them in hot oil. Fry until they are golden, remove them, drain them, and they are ready to serve.
What can we serve them with?
This recipe is mainly meant to be accompanied by homemade "ají" (Colombian hot sauce); it pairs perfectly with the palate and is delicious. You can add pink sauce and serve with corn arepas, and with a hot or cold beverage.
Tips and recommendations
- Try to make the layer of potato surrounding the filling not too thick, so you can enjoy this recipe more.
- Ensure that the filling is well covered by the potato, and that the potato is well coated with the mixture of flour and egg.
- Check that the oil is not too hot, as this will quickly brown the outside, leaving the inside cold.
- As the potato is the main ingredient of this recipe, it has many benefits, including that it is a great anti-inflammatory, making it an excellent option for treating rheumatism and arthritis.
- Additionally, it contains folic acid and iron, making it ideal for treating anemia and producing red blood cells in the body.
- Potato Croquettes: a different way to consume this great food.
- Potato and Egg Salad: to vary a salad containing potatoes, a natural and delicious food.
- Mashed Potatoes: the perfect side dish for other recipes.
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 lb of ground meat
- 2 tomatoes (chopped into small cubes)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- ½ cup of cooked white rice
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 raw egg
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Peel the potato and cut it into cubes.
- In a pot with water and a pinch of salt, cook the potatoes until they are soft, and drain. In the same pot, mash the potatoes with the help of a fork until they become a puree and set aside.
- In another pot, mix the ground meat with the tomatoes, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the already cooked rice and the cooked egg. Mix all these ingredients very well.
- Now, take a handful of mashed potatoes, form a ball, and make a deep hole with your finger; there, incorporate the meat mixture.
- Close the hole, and repeat this process until you have used all the ingredients.
- In a container, mix the flour with the raw egg, milk, and a pinch of salt; beat well.
- Dip the potato balls one by one in the mixture and then fry them in hot oil.
- Fry until they are golden, remove, drain, and they are ready to serve.