For those of us who like lentils, this recipe will be an excellent option to prepare them in a different way to the usual way of consuming them, since we often find them in the traditional soup or stews (find these two recipes in this blog).
At some point I met the veggie burger, lentil burgers, croquettes or lentil cakes by my grandmother, she specially prepared them to replace the meat of lunch, since it was sold out at the end of the week because it was a large enough family to feed.
I think that my grandmother was quite creative when preparing the torticas, because she used to grind the lentils traditionally in the grinding machine, seasoned her with several ingredients that she cultivated, such as onion, tomato, coriander, and various spices. It gave them a fairly unique flavor, so no one at home refused to eat them.
Now I have adopted this recipe in my kitchen, not only because of its practicality but also because it is an excellent alternative to consume vegetable protein and eat healthily. In this sense, if you accompany your menu or a hamburger with these cakes, you can feed yourself with significant components of protein, iron, and fiber.
The lentil burger is a rather striking way to attract children to the consumption of vegetables and grains. In this, you can incorporate various ingredients that help your healthy growth, such as carrot, spinach, onion, celery, tomato. Which usually does not catch their attention. For those who are vegetarians or vegans, this is a great option to substitute meats.
In this recipe, it is quite essential to soak the lentils with enough time to hydrate. I prefer to do it this way because if I prepare them with cooked lentils, they dismantled or when grinding them. Their texture becomes quite light. I would have to add flour or ground bread to make them compact, which I do not think convenient because many calories would add.Español
- 250 grams of lentils
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 onion (cut into small cubes or grated)
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red pepper grated or cut into cubes
- Salt pepper and spices to taste
- Place the lentils to soak for 7 or 8 hours, after this time strain and wash them well.
- Grind the lentils in a food processor or with a blender (it would be ideal to do it in a grinding machine if it is at hand) until a homogeneous and easy to handle dough forms. Sauté garlic clove, grated carrot, onion, and paprika on medium heat and in half a tablespoon of oil.
- Mix in a bowl or deep bowl the lentil dough with the vegetable stir-fry, with salt and spices to taste (you can add ground bread if the dough is not uniform).
- With wet hands or with the help of a spoon, shape the croquette or hamburger. You can leave them in rep bear for an hour so that they have greater consistency.
- Place half a tablespoon of oil in the Teflon skillet and cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Serve the croquettes with rice, salad, or accompany them with hamburger and tomato bread.