I love to think of delicious soup on rainy days or when you get home in the afternoon and want to prepare something easy, delicious, and nutritious for dinner. The fish and coconut milk soup are one of them. Its seasoning is quite pleasant because this mixes the mild flavor of the coconut milk and the aromatic taste of the fish, you have to try it!
I met the coconut fish soup and tried it on a trip I made to Santa Martha Colombia a long time ago. In case you do not know this tourist site is part of one of the coastal areas of the Caribbean and in its cuisine, one of the main bases is fish or seafood, and you cannot miss the dishes or casseroles with this ingredient.
Before this trip, I had tried the fish in a fried or roasted way, and sincerely I never imagined that I would eat cooked fish because thinking about it in this way was not very pleasant. Still, since I tried it, I changed this concept because now I can say that it is one of the better ways to try it since its flavor is not lost, and its nutrients are more beneficial.
Although in this soup the fish is essential for flavor, I like to add ingredients that are quite traditional in our lands, such as cassava, potatoes, and some vegetables, nor do I leave aside the fish heads with which increases the flavor of the preparation. I also like to add coconut milk, which gives the soup a creamy texture and a very particular flavor.
Ingredients for preparing coconut fish soup
You can serve this soup accompanied by a portion of white rice, salad, avocado or eat it alone by adding a few drops of lemon.Español
- 4 tilapia fillets or diced catfish
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup cassava diced optional
- 8 cups of water
- 1 cup diced Creole potato
- 1 carrot chopped in small cubes
- ½ onion grated or finely chopped
- 1 branch of coriander finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ red paprika finely chopped
- 1½ of clove of garlic macerated
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cumin salt and pepper to taste
- Season the fish with salt, pepper, lemon juice, half of the crushed garlic and reserve for a while or while cutting the vegetables.
- In a large pot, sauté the rest of the garlic, the onion until it becomes transparent, and then add the cups of water. When it starts to boil, add all the vegetables (the potato, the yucca, the Creole potato, the carrot, the red paprika, and the garlic) cut into cubes and the previously seasoned fish.
- Add coconut milk, salt, cumin, pepper to taste, and the species you like best (if you want to change the color of the soup, you can add a pinch of color or saffron).
- Cook over medium heat for 35 to 40 minutes or until soup ingredients are soft.
- Serve the soup hot by adding the chopped cilantro and a few drops of lemon.