This quick and easy recipe will allow you to enjoy a movie night at home or a gathering with friends, with a flavor that evokes memories of childhood and traditional fairs.
This wonderful popcorn is made with popping corn, water, sugar, vanilla essence, oil, and melted butter to taste. The perfect combination of sweetness and crunchy texture will captivate you and leave you craving more. Imagine the taste of freshly made popcorn, with its shiny, golden exterior covered in caramel and its soft, fluffy interior, making you smile with every bite.
Popcorn is very common when we go to the cinema or when we watch a movie at home, it's a custom, like accompanying it with any soda, although popcorn is the most important.
Today we are going to learn to make it in different ways, the first one is to buy the traditional popping corn, to prepare it in a slow-cooking pot on the stove, we can find popping corn in any store or supermarket and the best thing is that it is very economical.
The second option to prepare it is in the microwave, you buy the bag ready to take to the microwave and leave it for a minute and a half, then you can melt butter and add it on top, as well as sprinkle sugar.
The third is not an option, rather it is a convenience, as they sell them in ready-made bags, you just have to open the bag and enjoy them. But as this is a recipe, I recommend making it the first way, besides because it will only take a few minutes to have them ready and if you run out of popcorn you can stop the movie for a few minutes and make them.
How to make popcorn crispy and not sticky?
To ensure that the popcorn is crispy and not sticky, it is important to add the oil to the pot before adding the popping corn kernels. Make sure to cover the bottom of the pot with a uniform layer of oil so that the corn kernels pop evenly. Also, remember to shake the covered pot during cooking to prevent the popcorn from sticking or burning.
What is the ideal point of caramel for popcorn?
The ideal point of the caramel is reached when the water and sugar mixture has caramelized over medium heat. You must be attentive to the color change, which will be a golden tone. At that moment, it is time to add the oil, the vanilla essence and the popping corn kernels.
Alternatives for sweetening popcorn
You can try different ways to sweeten your popcorn to vary its flavor. Some options include:
- Honey: Add a touch of honey to your popcorn to give it a sweet and smooth flavor.
- Brown sugar: Use brown sugar instead of white sugar to achieve a deeper and caramelized flavor.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup can give an interesting and different touch to your popcorn.
- Not properly caramelizing the sugar: Make sure that the sugar has caramelized before adding the other ingredients. Otherwise, the popcorn will not have the sweet taste and the desired crunchy texture.
- Using too much oil: If you use too much oil, the popcorn can become greasy. Make sure to measure the four tablespoons of oil correctly.
- Not shaking the pot during cooking: It is important to shake the covered pot to prevent the popcorn from burning or sticking to the bottom.
- ½ Pound of popping corn
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- Melted butter to taste
With Popping Corn:
- In a medium-sized pot with a lid, add the four tablespoons of water and the four tablespoons of sugar, place on medium heat until the mixture caramelizes.
- Add the four tablespoons of oil, the vanilla essence and the popping corn kernels until they cover the bottom of the pot. Cover the pot.
- Leave for 4 minutes, you should stir the popcorn, shaking the covered pot (The popping corn will start to pop, you have to be careful that they don't burn, usually when they stop popping in a row they will be ready).
- Depending on the size of the pot, it will be the amount of popcorn you can make. Repeat the previous steps until you have the desired amount of popcorn.
- Serve and add over the popcorn, the melted butter and the desired sugar.
- Place the microwave popcorn bag (Without breaking the paper bag) in the microwave for a minute and a half.
- Break the bag, serve the popcorn, add the melted butter and the desired sugar.