Red rice, also known as Mexican rice, is a dish attributed to Mexican culture, made with fundamental ingredients such as white rice, tomato sauce or paste, onion, garlic, etc. Traditionally it is caused by sautéing the rice in a pan, where the liquid part and the sauce that gives it its color then added.
It is also known as Spanish rice, however, and despite this name with which it known, it said that this red rice is not a popular dish in the kitchen of Spain, since the rice dishes known in that country, they are often yellow, which is given by tooth-like saffron.
This red rice is a dish of Mexican tradition. It is one of those garnishes preferred by the inhabitants of this country, being perfect to accompany stews of meat, chicken, fish, or pork, which can also use to make croquettes or to attend other types of preparations.
You can also add some vegetables, such as carrots, peas, corn, among others, it is undoubtedly that, alone or with vegetables, it tastes delicious. Not long ago, or I knew this recipe for red rice, I had never prepared it in my house because I sincerely believed that this rice made with paprika, and I thought it was this ingredient that gave it the color. The truth is that my consumption of paprika is very little, so I didn’t prepare that rice.
But to my surprise, it could also be prepared with tomato, so I decided to get down to work, and the result was incredibly delicious. So I hope that, like me, you will also be encouraged to prepare this red rice.Español
- 1½ cups of rice
- 3 to matoes
- 1 onion
- 3 cups chicken broth or water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Paprika to taste to decorate.
- In a blender, add the three ripe tomatoes together with the chicken stock (or water), ¼ of the onion, salt, and pepper to taste, liquefy and reserve.
- In a pot, heat the oil and add the rest of the onion finely chopped. Sauté a few minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and constantly stir so that it is well pearled.
- After a few minutes, add the blended mixture and let it boil.
- When the water has dried, lower the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let cook for about 20 more minutes.
- After this time, remove from heat and let stand a few minutes.
- Serve hot and decorate with paprika strips or tomato chopped.