Red rice, also known as Mexican rice, is a dish attributed to Mexican culture, made with very basic ingredients such as white rice, tomato sauce or paste, onion, garlic, etc. Traditionally, it is made by sautéing the rice in a skillet, then adding the liquid portion and the sauce that gives it its color.
It is also known as Spanish rice, however, despite this name, it is said that this red rice is not a popular dish in Spanish cuisine, since the rice dishes known in that country are often yellow, a color given by an ingredient such as saffron.
This red rice is a dish of Mexican tradition, indeed, it is one of those side dishes favored by the inhabitants of this country, being perfect to accompany stews of meat, chicken, fish or pork, it can also be used to make croquettes or simply to accompany other types of preparations.
You can also add some vegetables, such as carrot, peas, corn, among others, it certainly is that, alone or with vegetables tastes delicious. I recently learned this red rice recipe, I had never prepared it at home because I sincerely thought that this rice was made with paprika and I thought it was this ingredient that gave it color, and the truth is that my consumption of paprika is very little, so I did not prepare this rice.
plate with red rice and salad But to my surprise, it could also be prepared with tomato, so I decided to get to work, and the result was incredibly delicious. So I hope that, like me, you also dare to prepare this red rice. Let's cook.
What is the secret to achieving perfect red rice?
The secret to achieving perfect red rice lies in the prior preparation of the rice and the correct proportion of liquids. Make sure to constantly stir the rice during cooking so that it is loose, and use the appropriate proportion of liquid, in this case, 3 cups of chicken broth or water for 1½ cups of rice.
How can I add more flavor to my rice?
To add additional flavor to red rice, you can add a clove of minced garlic when sautéing the onion. You can also add a bay leaf during cooking and remove it before serving. If you prefer a spicy touch, add some chili or chopped chili to the blended tomato mixture.
Can I use a different type of liquid instead of chicken broth or water?
Yes, you can use vegetable broth or even beef broth instead of chicken broth to vary the flavor of the red rice. Keep in mind that the type of liquid you choose can change the final flavor of the rice, so choose according to your preferences and those of your diners.
What is the best way to serve this recipe?
Red rice is served hot and it is common to decorate it with strips of paprika or chopped tomato. You can accompany it with meats, poultry, fish, or sautéed vegetables. It is also an excellent option to serve as a side dish in typical Colombian dishes.
What type of rice is best?
To prepare this recipe, it is advisable to use a long-grain rice, as it tends to stay looser and fluffier after cooking. However, if you only have short or medium grain rice, it will also work in this recipe.
Tips and tricks
- Be sure to wash the rice before cooking to remove any impurities or excess starch. This will help the rice to be looser.
- Don't forget to sauté the rice before adding the liquid. This step helps the grains seal and acquire a loose texture.
- For a more intense flavor, you can substitute part of the water or broth with tomato sauce or even tomato paste.
- Not washing the rice before cooking can result in sticky rice.
- Cooking the rice on high heat throughout the process can cause it to burn or stick to the bottom of the pot. Remember to lower the heat once the water has dried up.
- Not letting the rice rest after cooking can cause the grains to break when serving.
- 1½ cups of rice.
- 3 ripe tomatoes.
- 1 onion.
- 3 cups of chicken broth or water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Paprika to taste for decoration.
- In a blender, add the 3 ripe tomatoes along with the chicken broth (or water), ¼ of an onion, salt, and pepper to taste, blend and set aside.
- In a pot, heat the oil and add the rest of the finely chopped onion. Sauté for a few minutes until it is soft.
- Add the rice and stir constantly so that it is well pearled.
- After a few minutes, add the blender mixture and let it boil.
- When the water has dried up, lower the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let it cook for about 20 more minutes.
- After this time, remove from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes.