Today we bring you ripe plantain canoes with beef, quite traditional, because who has not enjoyed a roasted plantain and more with stuffing? I think everyone, or at least they have eaten it with some butter and cheese.
What type of plantain to use for the recipe?
When preparing these ripe banana canoes, it is essential to consider the type of banana you use, depending on how ripe it is, because if it still painted the cooking can take much longer, and the texture could be stained or hard.
If the banana is too ripe, it would not be straightforward to open it to include the filling, since its interior would be similar to a mash.
The best plantain should be yellow, without any black, brown, or greenish spots, and that is hard to the touch.
Can only ground beef be used for the filling?
In different regions, it is common to fill the banana with ground meat, seasoned with garlic, onion, and tomato, however, its filling has no limits, you can use other meats such as chicken, pork, sausage, vegetables or cheese. The secret touch is given by everyone, depending on what you like to enjoy the most.
Likewise, the preparation of the plantain varies a lot, since traditionally, it has done by frying it in oil. Still, to make it healthier, there are other healthier alternatives to consider, such as:
- Roasting it on a grill for a long time and watching it, so it doesn't burn.
- Cooking it in plenty of water for a few minutes.
- Taking it to the oven to cook and brown integrally and then add the filling.
How to make ripe plantain canoes?Español
- 4 ripe plantains.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped.
- 1 garlic finely chopped.
- 100 gr of mozzarella cheese.
- ½ tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt (ground oregano, and pepper to taste.)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Peel the plantains, take them to a baking sheet and rub them with butter on all sides.
- Bake the plantains for 25 minutes and then turn them on the other side for 15 more minutes or until they look golden brown.
- While the plantains are baking, put in a saucepan the oil, onion, garlic, sauté for two minutes and add the tomato, then integrate the ground meat and let it sauté for eight more minutes while stirring.
- When the plantains are ready, make them a horizontal and deep cut in half, fill with the ground meat and place the mozzarella cheese on top. If you wish, you can take it to the oven for five more minutes to gratin.
- Serve the hot plantain canoes.