This recipe is easy to make, but the outcome is amazing and will surely impress everyone. Whether for a family gathering or a special celebration, wheat flour cakes are the perfect choice to sweeten everyone's palate.
As the name suggests, this recipe is primarily made from wheat flour, which, when combined with other ingredients, forms a thick dough that is poured into a hot pan to make the wheat flour cakes.
Wheat Flour Cakes
Our wheat flour cakes, besides containing their main ingredient, will have other components that will give a unique touch, making our recipe simple yet delicious.
Is there a difference from other cake recipes?
We'll use an ingredient that will add a sweet and different touch to our cakes – powdered milk.
We'll only use a tablespoon of sugar, making our recipe healthier, and as a substitute, we'll use sugarcane water (agua panela).
The dough for our cakes will be thick, so it'll absorb less oil and will be perfect to eat.
What are wheat flour cakes?
They are essentially cakes made from wheat flour, water, and some type of sweetener (sugar, panela, honey, etc.) to make the cakes sweet. If you don't want them sweet, add salt, so they turn out savory…
They are usually fried in oil, and the cooking time is very short, so you don't have to wait long to eat and enjoy these wheat flour cakes with family.
How to make wheat flour cakes?
Preparing these wheat flour cakes is straightforward, and it takes very little time. First, get our ingredients ready for a smoother process (flour, sugarcane water, egg, powdered milk, sugar and salt, baking soda, and oil for frying).
In a bowl, mix the ingredients and stir until well combined, ensuring no lumps in the dough or residual flour at the bottom. This is why you should mix the dough thoroughly.
Aim for a thick consistency to absorb less oil. Once the dough is ready, heat the oil. With a spoon, add the dough to form the cakes, fry, remove from the oil, and you're done.
What's the ideal side dish?
You can accompany this wheat flour cake recipe with a traditional hot cappuccino or a carajillo, either for breakfast or lunch.
Some tips and recommendations
- If you don't want to use sugar, you can use more panela or sweeten with honey or another sweetener. You can even replace the water with sugarcane water and avoid sugar.
- Remember, if you don't want sweet cakes, you can substitute the sugar for salt.
- Ensure the cake dough is thick; otherwise, they might not get the right consistency when frying, and they could absorb too much oil. If it's too watery, just add more wheat flour.
One of its most notable benefits is that it provides proteins and energy to the body.
- Cappuccino: An ideal choice for breakfast or lunch; a perfect match. Carajillo
- Coffee: Another delicious way to enjoy this recipe; you'll love it. Wheat Flour
- Arepas: If you want to make the most of an ingredient like wheat flour, this is a good recipe to prepare.
- 1 cup of wheat flour.
- 1 cup of sugarcane water.
- 1 egg.
- 3 tablespoons of powdered milk.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda.
- If you want some sweet cakes, use a cup of aguapanela and you can skip the sugar. Or you can also use a cup of water and sugar to taste.
- If you prefer them salty, add water and salt to taste and skip the aguapanela.
- In a bowl, add the wheat flour, egg, baking soda, sugar, salt, powdered milk, and sugarcane water, and mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- The goal is to get a thick mixture, so if it's too watery, you can add a bit more flour.
- Heat oil in a pan. With a spoon, add the cake dough. You can let the dough cover the spoon and drop it into the pan as small balls, or you can make them bigger if desired.
- Fry for a few minutes until they're golden on both sides, remove from heat and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- And that's it! You can now enjoy delicious wheat flour cakes.