Shredded beef, pulled beef, or stringy beef is a preparation based on pulled beef, consumed in Spain, Honduras, Colombia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Panama.
It is prepared with a cut of beef known as flank, although skirt steak can also be used. To give flavor to this meat, in many countries, the meat is usually cooked with aromatic herbs such as bay leaf, thyme, coriander, cloves, and/or added vegetables and seasonings. It is usually served with white rice, slices of fried plantain, and often on top of a good corn arepa.
It is worth noting that meat is an essential food in anyone's diet, as it provides a large number of nutrients to the body. If you eat it, it will provide your body with many proteins, iron, vitamin B12, and minerals such as zinc, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus, and a low amount of fat and carbohydrates.
It is essential to prevent anemia, helps in the formation of hemoglobin, a protein of red blood cells that carries oxygen to the blood, and also helps in the good performance of our body and the correct functioning of our brain. Of course, excessive consumption of meat generates extra proteins and fats, not recommended for our body.
One of the advantages we have when preparing shredded beef is that by shredding the meat into small strands, it is very easy to digest in our body, especially for the little ones at home.
What a great pleasure it is to prepare this recipe, especially because it reminds me of my mother's seasoning, who prepared this shredded beef with a lot of love for us. Here I share the recipe step by step, the truth is it's very simple and easy to prepare. I hope you enjoy making it as much as I do, I assure you that you will not regret it. You'll lick your fingers.
What is skirt steak and what other cut of meat can I replace it with?
The skirt steak is a cut of beef also known as flank. If you can't find skirt steak, you can replace it with other cuts such as brisket or rump cap.
How long should I cook the meat to make it tender?
The cooking time can vary depending on the thickness and cut of the meat. In a conventional pot, it could take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. If you use a pressure cooker, the cooking time will be reduced to about 30-45 minutes.
What is hogao and how do I prepare it?
Hogao is a typical Colombian sauce made from tomatoes, onions, garlic, green pepper, and seasonings such as cumin, salt, and pepper. To prepare it, sauté all the ingredients in oil until they are tender and aromatic.
Can I prepare the shredded beef in advance?
Yes, you can cook the meat in advance and store it in the refrigerator. When you're ready to prepare the shredded beef, simply shred it and continue with the recipe.
How many servings does this recipe yield?
This Shredded Beef recipe yields approximately 4 servings.
Tips and suggestions
Use a pressure cooker to reduce the meat's cooking time.
Make sure to let the meat cool before shredding it to avoid burns.
If you prefer a smoother texture in the sauce, you can blend the hogao before mixing it with the shredded beef.
Common mistakes when preparing Shredded Beef
- Not cooking the meat long enough, which can result in tough meat that's hard to shred.
- Shredding the meat when it is still hot, which can cause burns to the hands.
- Not adding enough hogao or broth, which can leave the shredded beef dry.
- Arepa filled with shredded beef: Use the shredded beef as a filling for arepas, combining it with avocado and cheese to get a complete and delicious meal.
- Shredded beef empanadas: Prepare empanadas filled with shredded beef for a delicious appetizer or starter.
- Toasts with shredded beef: Place the shredded beef on toasts and add your favorite ingredients, such as guacamole, refried beans, or pico de gallo for a quick and easy meal.
- 2 Lb of skirt steak.
- 9 cups of water.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- ¼ of pepper.
- 1 cup of hogao.
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ egg onion.
- A bit of thyme.
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste.
- In a pot, place the meat, water, thyme, bay leaf, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked (If you want you can use a pressure cooker to make it a little faster)
- When the meat is ready, remove it and reserve a cup of this broth. Let the meat cool and shred it with a fork or with your hands.
- In a pot, place the shredded meat, the hogao, the tomato paste, and a cup of the meat broth, cook for 6 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot. Remember that you can accompany it with white rice, with some patacones or with corn arepas. Challenge your imagination and combine the flavors.